Mixing Photography and 17th Century Paintings
Behind The Scenes
Carrying on my series taking a sneak peak behind the scenes this post delves into into mixing photography and paintings with the inclusion of some 17th century artwork. It isn’t quite as simple as taking the creatures you want to include and sticking them together in Photoshop.
Colour & Brightness
One of the most important elements in making any composit look right is making sure that the colours in the image match. Take an element that has a yellow base and expect it to blend nicely with an image that has a blue base, perhaps photographed in cold light, and you have little chance of a succesful composit. The image below also shows how the fruit and monkey stand out when the brightness does not match up.
Poor colour match with the monkey and fruit at the front of the image. Saturation is too strong and the element is also also too bright.
Image adjusted to bring colour and brightness into line with th background image
Typically I combine only images that I have photographed myself and take pride in the fact that every element in my work is my own. This image, inspired by Miss Aniela’s work combining photography and paintings, is a rare exception. Below are the two beautiful paintings that I borrowed the animals from.
painted around 1690 by Melchior d’Hondecoeter
painted by Adriaen Van Utrecht in 1644
One of the other essential elements in a good composited image is the correct placement of the shadows and light. The light in the final image must appear to be from the same location in the picture. Often this won’t be the case from the source files when combining elements from different images.
before (left) and after colour and shadow work
The difference is quite subtle in this example but the monkey is duller on the right in the ‘after’ shot, more in keeping with the other animals added to the image. On the right you can see that the feet look more like they belong and less like they are floating thanks to the addition of a shadow beneath them. There are some other shadow additions and the monkey’s face is slightly lightened as the light in the new image comes from the right.
Below I’ve added a photoshop speededit of the addition of the characters to the image. This part of the image took approximately 8 hours to create which I’ve managed to squash into 5.